Monday, January 19, 2009

Chiran Kanayamidon

Today I am drinking Chiran Kanayamidon (which I procured from Twisted Branch Tea Bazaar). Chiran refers to the place where the tea is from--Chiran is now part of Kagoshima Prefecture, which is in the South of Japan. The area is also home to the kamikaze museum. The meaning of Kanayamidon is still being researched at this time. Like so many of my recently purchased teas, I have been drinking this almost exclusively and I am on my last steaping.



The tea leaf is dark green and has the characteristic look of many Japanases teas--namely the fine cut nature of the leaf. The liquor of the tea is an emerald green and the taste of this tea is slightly vegetal with much less astringency than most other Japanese Teas.



Above are the spent leaves, again one can see how the leaves are cut to pieces.

No comments: